Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Twilight Crit Boise, ID








Well Rose and myself arrived on Friday afternoon to just hang out and meet up with my older sister. With Friday off the bike completely we got some good rest in our legs. Saturday morning me and Rose hit the streets of Boise on the bike for an easy 1hr spin. With10 hrs to go before we even started warming up for the race we did a lot of sitting around and drinking tones of fluids. It only reached a 107 on Saturday so we were lucky that we got to start at 830 pm. We hit the road 1 1/2 before the race started so we could get a really good warm up.

I have not been that nervous before a race in a few years, it was actually scary. I was afraid that I was going to suck and have everyone (5000 specter's) looking at me when I got dropped. Well the gun went off and all of the nerves went out the door. I did what I do, bike race. I was holding on for dear life the first 20 laps (each lap is 1k) thinking I only have 60 more to go. At this point I was pretty much set on making it half way and being happy with that. When I got to half way I was thinking to myself I might have twenty more laps in me with. By this time in the race it's night time and the back straight away is black and the front straight has construction lights lighting up the street. So your pupils are going through a consistent change. With only twenty more laps to go I knew that I could finish the race and could start being a little aggressive. I was just following wheels but still made it off the front of the group of riders but there was still a group of 4 up the road. Being on the front of that was 100 times harder than sitting in the group. With 5 laps to go it really started to pick up momentum again. The field was again strung out. 2 laps to go and the crowd at the start finish line explodes with cheers. 1 lap to go I get chills riding by start finish line. I move up a few places in back straight away and go through the last two corners and start the sprint. I pass a few more and finished it. I have not seen the results yet but heard 15th but I don't know for sure. Oh rose and me didn't scare Toyota United, they won it.






The after party we stayed out tell 4 am drinking and dancing. Always the best things for the legs.
Sunday the family and friends went and floated the Boise river. The water was so cold but it made the 105 degree weather feel like nothing. Overall it was a great weekend and can't wait to do it next year. Thanks Jess for the Awesome Pictures!!!

No comments: