Sunday, August 13, 2006

Last Race in Idaho this year

First off, I want to say that Boise is an awesome city!!!! Justin Rose and myself stayed at a house, 2 blocks away from the start finish line. I also have to thank Justin's GIRL BUDDY (wink wink)for hooking us up with that, she was house sitting. That worked out great for us bum bike racers trying to make to the big times. If you are ever in Boise and want to get a bite to eat well the Lucky 13, on 13th street and Eastmon. It was a great atmosphere and great people watching, got to love doing that.

Bike racing!!!!!!
The Cycling Classic was a 91 mile road race with 8000 feet of elevation gain. This course was great, it started with five neutral laps through the Hyde Park area. Then we rode out to the main circuit, that was 18 miles per lap. In the 18 miles there was 4 climbs. On the first lap there was a solo attack my Calvin Allen who is an animal. He just got done doing the Tour of Utah a six day race with the best Pro's in the USA, the best and he placed in the top 40. Well later on that lap a group of three attacked and I chased on to that group. We then caught Allen two climbs later and had a group of 5 of us, all from different teams. This was looking really good for this group, all the main team represented. Going down the last decent of the first lap the Hyde Park rider flatted. That really didn't make things good for the break, because Hype Park had eight riders in the race. Oh shit. The four left in the group decided to keep it going. On the next lap we dropped another rider. For the next two laps it was three of us driving it going for the win, our gap was up to 2:51 which was huge on that course. On the KOM(king of the mountain which was 14% for a 100 meters OUCH) climb we dropped another rider, so Allen and myself off the front. We started rolling over the climbs and started the last lap. On the flats I got dropped, I cramped and I was done. Allen saw the gap and started driving it. I was so toast. I stayed away for the chase aka the peloton which was 5 tell the top of the first climb. I stayed with them tell the KOM climb then the legs buckled again. I then gave it all I had left. I had set up Rose, he was in the group of 5. He was fresh because he didn't have to be on the front at all, at any part of the day. Rose out sprinted Matt W. from Hyde Park for second. I got caught by another rider and he out sprinted me in the last K. I ended up 8th. Not to bad for not riding anything long for over a month. My fitness is really for crits right now. Congrats to JUSTIN ROSE for being a bad ass and riding smart. I'm beat, hopefully to see a lot of you tomorrow for some beers.

No comments: