Sunday, August 06, 2006

Epic day

With the most epic day of racing in front of me, and I was so excited. Today I was driving to Mackay Idaho an hour and a half north of Pocatello. The White Knob Challenge is a 9 mile up hill 9 mile down hill mostly on four wheeler road. I was ready to win the White Knob Challenge. I planned on going off with the proÂ’s but there was only four of them so went off with the Expert group one minute behind them. From the get go all I can think about is catching those guys. Three miles into the race I have caught three of the proÂ’s and there is no expert in sight. I was chasing hard to get that last pro. I crested the hill second over. Started the ripping decent rolling like a mad man. I was glad that I practiced a little downhill skills earlier in the week.. But I double flatted not once but twice $@#!.
The day was over for the mountain bike. I got a ride down the mountain on a four wheeler holding my bike on my lap. I get to the car and a quick change of clothes and put the bike on car and on the road..
Now my Dad was driving me to Logan, UT to do a Crit. Yes that night, only five hours tell the next start. The drive took us right through Pocatello. Getting into Logan I have an hour and a half to start. While warming up with Rose who was just doing the Crit I flatted and didn't bring my spare wheels. So now IÂ’m looking for a wheel that I can barrow. The Logan Race Club Hooked me up with one of there Reynolds carbon deep dish wheels. Then I forgot to but on the ten speed spacer so it gave the wheels drag on the free hub body. Then some how my cassette got twisted on the free hub body and we had to twist it back into the right groves. Ten speed spacer on sweet. Now we canÂ’t get the cassette to go on right. With four tries and the race promoter hold up the race for me IÂ’m still having some shifting problems but IÂ’m on the start line with no warm up because of the mechanical.
The race starts and I get as close to the front as possible. This way itÂ’s easier on my legs to warm up. Next thing I know IÂ’m in a break of four and my legs are not feeling good at all. The break got back then a new group got off and Healthy Choice(Logan Race ClubÂ’s Elite team) had eight riders and they kept on sending riders. The break was only a little ways in front of us. So I attacked in the gutter and that didnÂ’t work but the next time around J Rose attacked. It was like we where racing at the Holt Arena on a Tuesday night. That attacked got brought then I attacked the next lap. I was getting so close to the break and my legs BLEW UP. The field caught me and then dropped me. I waited up to get lapped and then help J Rose again. When I got back in, I jumped in right in front of Rose to block wind for him. He Attacked again and got a gap I went to the front and was slowing down the field looking like I was taking my turn on the front. After a few laps of that Rose had a huge gap. I then had a few words with a Cole Sport rider(wanker, a.k.a. Old man river) which made my day because I pissed him off so much. J rose ended up fifth on the day and rode a for a long time by himself because Healthy Choice riders took it to him. HE HAD A GREAT RIDE.
A special thanks goes out to the Dick from Cole Sports for making a day of miss haps, a great day.

No comments: