Thursday, April 03, 2008

Training at Altitude

Well I made it up to 41,000 ft this week. Yeah thats right way Up there. I also got to ride with the Gingers and hang out at Mesa State. I got to travel like a rock star. Sarah Brown a rider for the Bob's women team, is a Lear Jet Pilot. The company she works for has a plane and needed to get it serviced in Grand Junction and I got to go along!!! The hour flight was awesome, arrived in the GJ at 930am on Tuesday. I did a little hanging out on campus then went for a Ride with the Gingers the Mesa Coach and Brent. Ginger C about broke my legs with the tempo he set going up the monument. Yet he played all of his cards on the first 3 switch back, which is not anywhere close to the top. I ended up rolling to the top off front but Ginger K was closing in fast. Descending off the top was awesome. We all regrouped and blew through the gate so we wouldn't have to stop. About 5 mins down the road a park ranger was coming at us with his lights on. Right before he got to us he crossed right in front of us pulling into a neighborhood and the ranger jumped out of his SUV and Yelled at us to come back. Yet MOzingo slowed enough to talk to him before passing him. Ranger said did you come from the monument? Mo replied Nope there is another group is riding into town. The Ranger apologized and said sorry and took off in his SUV. Ha ha later park ranger. We rode down to the green way to stay out of sight for a little while.

Then the gingers Mo and myself did the first Tuesday nighter of the year. There is a little road construction going on so the regular course was not happening. They said the route and I had now clue what the route was so I decided to site tell I knew there was only 1 turn left. With sitting in the draft for the majority of the ride we finally reached K road which lead right into 24 road which was the right turn that I knew to take. I went to the front and rode at 400 plus watts for about a minute and a half to soften up the legs of the guys in the group. Then Conor launched off the front of the Group, perfect. I went back to mid pack while the locals tried to bring conor back. With a guy moving up on the outside of the group I jumped in behind to get a free ride to the front. I then attacked right when we got to the front of the group. I could see the group of riders trying to get on my wheel by the shadow in the road, then there was none and conor was getting closer and closer. I yelled up to conor and gave him a warning that I was coming. After rotating through our gap grew. We looked back and could see a lone rider but could not tell who it was with the sun in our eyes. We turned on to 24 road and could tell that it was Kevin coming up. We sat up and let him get on. With the three of us together the group had no fire power left. We had over 30 sec at the counter and rotated though tell we got back to the park. No sprint finish good thing because the Mav would of beat up on the Bronco.

I never thought I would say it but being back at the dorm, I Miss Living at the Dorms. Always something going on. I miss all my boys back there. Conor got his Cat 2 upgrade. Hopefully he will get some more results and send in his resume to Bob's this fall. Now back in the B-town, I got to get ready to race in SLC on Saturday and back in Boise on Sunday. Should be good!!!

2 comments:

kai said...

I like the tactics.

Unknown said...

Stu, you need to add a "d" to your name. Stud. Get it? Nice work. Hope to see you this weekend.