Monday, April 14, 2008

Chicken Dinner RR

The name of the race should of been middle of no where Windy RR. I didn't see any chickens out there. So the race starts out 1/3 of the way up this climb. The race starts off flying because Cody Peterson (pro MTB rider) showed up to see what the roadies of Idaho have been up to over the winter. He said all of his intensity was done in a spin class at the gym over the winter. That's crazy because he is in the best shape of his life, or that's what the results are saying!!! Well he drilled it up the first climb pretty much wrecking shop 2miles into the race. With the cross winds and tail wind a large portion of the group came back together. The second time up the climb, and the first full time, is what did the field in. 5 riders made the lead group Cody(pro MTB), Richard (WC), Slack-bob's rider, Allen-bob's rider, and myself. I was feeling good, really good. Cody started verbally abusing us, trying to figure out why we are so good. I told him we're not. The next time up the Climb Cody got his Water bottle early on the climb and kept the tempo super high. Passing through the start/finish you take a right and decend just for a few seconds and start then climbing the rest of the way to the top. Well Cody accelerated hard up the climb this time making my legs not feel as good as they did the time before yet still hanging on to the lead group. The acceleration did windle it down one rider. Slack was caught out on the climb. Then there was four. coming around to start lap four Cody says I'm done for the day I'm going MTB later. He's going to Sea Otter Classic, this week which is a HUGE race. So then there was three. The next time up the climb I was still feeling pretty good, and a lap went by and we start up the full climb for the time and my legs where fatigued. With about 20 meter to go at the top of the climb my legs could not hold the Richard power anymore. I was gapped!!! I chased for 3/4 of a lap and could not get back on before the crazy strong head wind and had realize that I was going to get 3rd again. I kept it going but I lost 5min to richard who ending up winning the day Calvin getting 2nd, I got 3rd, Slack got 4th from the chase group and Tad BLOWING(chunks after the race) himself up for slack in the last few miles. Not to many other finishers out there on the road other than that. It was a Race that felt like a 120 miles when really it was only 60 something.

Well Tour of Walla Walla is this week and I'm really fired up for this race.

I took this Photo above the Arrowrock Dam, rocking the Road bike on the Dirt roads. AH I really want to get a Cyclo-Cross bike this fall and do some EPIC dirt rides

1 comment:

kai said...

I thought our race was hard, I don't even want to think about how you guys must have been feeling.