Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sugarhouse Crit & Downtown SLC crit






























I was kind of worried how my legs were going to feel, because the last two days I have been off the bike. Thursday was planed but Friday when I got off work it was storming. So I thought about getting on the trainer but then I thought how bad that would suck. So I hung out and ate my classic day before I race meal, Bacon cheeseburger. I got in the car at 6:00am to make it to SLC for Erik A. race. So I went for a 1:45 min ride up Immigration Canyon. Wow it was a great leg opener, real gradual climb for 1hr. I jetted back down to the race course to see the last half lap of Erik’s race, 11th on the day. “That was a real eye opener” gasped Erik. My race I was feeling really good I was in good position most of the race always following good wheels. I saw Burke S. who rides for Navigators, a real deal pro team go up the road and hold a gap of 15 sec. So I tried to jump across the gap when I was within 3 sec so was the field they had caught me. I knew that I had burned a lot of matches and I had to save everything for the finish. Now the thing that sucks with 3 laps to go they announced 2 laps to go. They also announced 2 laps to go when it was really 2 laps to go which I didn’t hear. Which I thought was the beginning of the final lap coming up to the finish line I was killing it thinking I had just won another crit then I heard the worst thing ever 1 lap to go. Oh god. I sat up tried to spin the lactic acid out of my legs as much as possible but I knew I wouldn’t be able to have that kick again. I ended up in the top 20 out of 52 and won the one lap to go. To bad no buddy cares about that lap. Today is the Downtown Utah State championship crit. I going to have a good day I can feel it.

The Downtown Crit was a four corner crit. We took off at 3:00 pm and it was 93 degrees. This was my first 90min crit ever for me and I was excited. Right from the gun we took off, it was fast and furious but only on rode bikes. The fastest lap on the course before our race was 1:10 and we did 10 laps in a row at 1 min and averaged a 1:05 for all the laps. I wanted to quit at 30 min, thinking I have another hour of this. I tried to get in some early moves but nothing was sticking. With about 45 min left in the race a move that was well represented got off the front and lapped the field with 15 min to go in the race. Then the big teams went to the front to string it out and not allow any other attacks go up the road. I got 12th on the day. Not what I wanted but good enough, good training for Twilight and Nationals. Going to spin the legs out today easy and going to get ready to kill it tomorrow. Me and Justin Rose are going to win the P-town crit, it will be one of us. Attack, attack all day long. Then the big Scout Mountain hill climb on Wednesday.
Erik A. in the 2nd pic having an eye opener weekend to the life of crit racing.

No comments: