Monday, June 26, 2006

Elkhorn Classic Stage Race

I would still have to say this is my favorite race that i will go to all year.It starts out with a 75 mile road race with three climbs and finishes on a 2 mile stretch of flat road. Then a NEW Time Trail course that was 5.5 miles downhill and 4.5 miles uphill with a few rollers. My favorite stage was the down town crit 1hr. of blistering fast speeds, 6 big open corners to go ripping though and all the awesome spectators cheering everybody on. The last stage is a 104 mile road race with 3 climbs that are10 min or more and the last climb of the day that starts at mile 97 and takes about 30 min.
1st Road Race I did a lot of work in the first of the stage covering moves and driving the field to bring back a breaks so I did think I would be able to make it with the main group over the climbs. I felt good and took 8th in the stage.
Time Trail 26th need to work on position don’t feel good on the bike yet
Crit was a great night my team mate Matt W. got six primes and 430 dollars cash. I did a three lap off the front by myself solo attempt, that was HARD. I got 7th in the stage with feeling really good with how it fared out.
2nd Road Race I had a team mate go up the road at mile 10 and was able to sit in the pack all day. The field was moving all day at a very high speed and the break was still gaining time. But with the last small climb over with the break was blown and the field was getting really motivated to bring it back before the big climb. At the base of the final climb I could see your teammate coming back quickly. The field started ripping apart with the blistering speeds going up the climb. I got pop from a group of 16 and held off everyone be hind me to get 17th on the day. Which was great last year I popped on the final climb and lost big time and my GC of third.
GC 15th out of 80 starters
This weekend really got me ready for nationals. I road home from the end each Road Race which also tacked on and extra 35miles. I was really happy how I performed this weekend if I ride like this at Nationals I will have a good showing.
Mark S. 3rd overall GC aka the man
Sam K. 11th overall GC
Hyde Park the team I raced for this past weekend
Matt W 10th overall GC with a wreck on the first day
I was the second GC guy on there team(not bad for being the domestic)

No comments: